Re: installing xmms-mp3 fails due to dependency issues

Am Mi, den 25.02.2004 schrieb Tobias Weisserth um 23:47:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> Am Mi, den 25.02.2004 schrieb Christoph Wickert um 23:31:
>
> > livna.org is not an standalone repo, it depends on download.fedora.us!
>
> Ah. I didn't realise that. I'll guess that's it.

The problem in your case was the rpm in Dags repo, as some else already
mentioned. In these cases you can disable some repos in your yum.conf
temporarily.

> > > Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
> > > Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
> >
> > Are you sure you want to use unstable packages???
>
> They follow after everything else so when I get packages from other
> sources first it doesn't really harm, does it?

Order does not matter, dependencies are resolved "cross repo".

> And when a package is
> only available as unstable then it's better to have this than nothing.

Yes, but if there are two versions of the same package, lets say
foo-1.0.rpm in stable and foo-1.9.rpm in unstable, you'll most likely
install the unstable package for there is "pkgpolicy=newest" in
/etc/yum.conf.

> Besides, I use Gentoo on my machine, so don't warn me about unstable
> packages ;-)

Ok, but don't complain afterwords or say that nobody warned you :-) BTW:
I'm happy with testing.

> > BTW: XMMS 1.2.9 rpms for fedora are available at xmms.org.
>
> Correction: 1.2.10

Oops, they are pretty quick...

> I installed it before reading your helpful replies. Does the package
> from xmms.org have the mp3 plugin installed by default? They don't offer
> it for download separately.

Yes, it's in their default package. Just for the record: (please no
further discussions ;-), has been discussed a lot on this list and
fedora-test-list)
The reason why mp3 is not enabled in fedora is (besides the juristic
problems) that "The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux
community to build a complete, general purpose operating system
exclusively from free software." (Quote from fedora.redhat.com)
                 ^^^^
and mp3 is a proprietary format.

> What about the other packages they offer
> along? I guess I'll need the ogg-vorbis thing (why they didn't include
> this in the main package is a riddle to me).

I guess they don't want xmms depend on ogg.

Regards

Christoph

P.S.: Tobias, there also is a german list called fedora-de-list. My
english is very poor...