Re: Two RAID 0 questions

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Mi, den 25.02.2004 schrieb Allan Metts um 14:46:

At 05:29 AM 2/25/2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

Yes. IDE doesn't permit simultaneous access to disks on the same
controller. Well, you could make do with two disks on a single
controller, but performance would be terrible.

Okay, two IDE identical drives -- one will be the Master on the Primary controller, the other will be the Master on the Secondary controller.

Next question: Will it hurt anything to put the CDROM drive as the Slave on the secondary controller? This is a no-no in the SCSI world, since I think it slows the entire bus down to the speed of the slowest device. But I need a CDROM to actually install Fedora, and I'd rather not buy an additional controller....

With the newer scsi controllers it is possible to mix devices with different speeds on the same bus.

Thanks for the help!

Allan

It's no problem to have a CD-ROM as slave together with a harddrive on the same controller. It will not slow down the whole controller.

Statement 1 is correct
Statement 2 is not. With IDE busses, all devices on the bus operate at the speed of the slowest device. Thus if you put an ATA133 drive on a bus with an ATA33 cdrom, the entire bus only operates at ATA33. They are improving this, and AFAICT the new SATA controllers do not have this limitation.

Alexander