network adapter kind of disabled

I am using FC1 which I downloaded about 2 weeks ago. I installed it on a Compaq 1245 with a Netgear FA411. Except sound and modem, no problems. But: Last time when I ran up2date from the root it got stuck in the middle of the installation process, namely while installing mozilla-nss-1.4.1-18. I had to force quit and ran up2date again. Then I tried to run up2date again, but it didn't connect to the Internet. Finally, I made a restart. After the restart I realized that the PCMCIA network adapter is not working. In the Network setting it is inactive, and during boot I saw that (unlike before) it doesn't start the pcmcia services. Any ideas how I can reativate my network adapter?

Thanks,
Achim