From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hard disk issues
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:41:46 -0600

Gabriel Birrane wrote:

You already have the second drive (sdb1) mounted. Per the mount command output it is mounted at / .
The df command output confirms this.

NOTE: you have about 230+ gb of unused/unpartitioned space on /dev/sda

To add the other drive (after defining the partition and formatting it) simply select the point on the filesystem where you want it mounted and mount it there. It then becomes part of the usable space.

How do I do this (in simple terms)?
I would like to mount it so that I have the remaining 230Gb availalbe to "/"

can you send a copy of /etc/fstab ???
the info you sent earler identifies /dev/sda2 as swap, and about 1.7gb in size.

Thanks

Now the following needs to be done.
# fdisk /dev/sda
and create a new partition.
# mke2fs -j /dev/sdaX
Where X is the new partition number. The -j makes it an ext3 partition but use the options appropriate for you.
Indications are that you only have /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 defined, so this might be /dev/sda3 if you define it as a primary partition or /dev/sda5 if you define it as an extended partition.

Then you will need to define a mount point for this new partition.
You indicate you want it to be at /, but that is impossible. You already have /dev/sdb1 mounted at /.
You may mount it at any desired subdirectory/mount point. I use /var /usr /tmp /home /opt as mount points for appropriately sized partitons. Once the decision is made of where to nount it, then you can use the mount command to actually perform the mount and modify the /etc/fstab file to mount it at boot time.

Use the man pages for mount and fstab to provide more info.
Also be aware that you should never mount a filesystem over a directory that already has content. Doing so will make the existing content inaccessible.

Another poster mentioned LVM as a possible solution. I have used LVM under AIX on the rs6000 servers, but never under linux. If it works similarly you will need to put both the drives in a volume group and then define a logical volume using both physical drives as the / partiton and it would work very well

Maybe someone else can give you the details for this

3. Does the output of SMARTD look ok or does it suggest a problem with one of the drives?

Read the output. There is a problem noted.

May be bios or someting else.

Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost smartd[5274]: Device: /dev/hda, No such device or address, open() failed
Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost smartd[5274]: Unable to register ATA device /dev/hda at line 30 of file /etc/smartd.conf
Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost kernel: Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost smartd[5274]: Unable to register device /dev/hda (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

I don't know where to start troubleshooting these errors. Any help would be appreciated.

First check that bios has the drive smart capability enabled.

Check dmesg and /var/log/messages to see what it tells you about the drive and smart capabilities.

The message show smartd is trying to use /dev/hda, but you do not have hda. You have sda & sdb instead.