Re: [RE] viruses from mailinglist

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Lofstrom" <keithl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 11:11 AM
Subject: [RE] viruses from mailinglist

> Joolz <joolz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> As you may recall, most modern viruses rewrite their "from" lines, and
> add their package to email found on the infected machine.   So while
> the virus claims to be from the list, it is not.  At least, I've not
> received any virus-laden emails from fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx; after
> the virus sees this message, I might :-( .
>
> What this probably means is that someone (perhaps someone you know)
> is receiving this list on an infected windoze machine.  Would all
> you windoze users please check?  Consider this another reason to
> run Service Pack Fedora.

I read this list on WinXP and Fedora at home, and over Earthlink web mail at
work, and i've never seen an executable attachment. I've been reading the
list about a month. Earthlink does do some filtering of spam before it
reaches me, but can look in the "known spam" folder over web mail and I've
seen nothing that looks like a virus.