Re: Bug?/questions about spamassassin

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
Hello all,

When I run the newest version of spamassassin (2.6.3-0.2) from the init.d directory as user root, it hangs when I use "-u mailnull" as the options. Or any other user (mail, etc), for that matter. Typing ./spamassassin start with just the option above shows:

starting spamd:

And then it hangs.

Are you still using '-d'? Without that spamd runs in the foreground rather than as a daemon. Are you setting the options in /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin?

[bevan@heimdall ~]> more /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
# Options to spamd
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -x -a -m5 -u mailnull -L"

Using the defaults with the software (-d -c -a -m5 -H) works fine, except my incoming spam is labeled as [SPAM] in Pine. Is there any way, from the spamassassin option command line above, to add an option to automatically delete those incoming emails when they are detected to be spam? I'm sure there is, but in my half-awake state and 2 hours on the spamassassin web site, I'm not clear how to do it.

Thanks, as always, for any help!

You can change the subject tag (and whether or not to have one) in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

Generally, since it's not 100% accurate, people filter alleged spam into a separate mailbox (using procmail) for later review.

A procmailrc similar to the following might help:
# SpamAssassin check
:0 wf
spam