Re: "default" sound drivers vs. ALSA?

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 13:17, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Sex, 2004-02-20 Ãs 14:43, Mitch Wiedemann escreveu:
> > Recent posts have led me to wonder: Are there particular advantages of
> > going through the trouble of installing and using ALSA drivers for my
> > sound card, if the built-in FC1 drivers work*?
> > *except I don't have any midi music when playing DOOM. :(
>
> Some drivers works, but without multiple channels. My via-82xx, for
> instance, when using standard FC1 sound drivers, keep gaim sounds on a
> sort of queue when I hear music with XMMS. The music stops, every single
> sound event from gaim is played in a row, and then xmms complains about
> sound device being busy.
>
> Its a via-82xx sound chip, and works perfectly with alsa.

Take a look here:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/alsa/

for some hints on how to get multiple apps playing together using ALSA.

I now have gaim and xmms behaving well together.

Now, if I could just get Evolution's new mail notification to
work....anyone have any hints on that?

I installed ALSA this past week on my Dell 5150 laptop (FC1 w/ 2.4
kernel over an Intel 82801DB audio chip set) and I can definitely notice
a big difference in the quality of sound using XMMS and mplayer. It is
substantially better.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz