Re: Fedora Updater

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 05:33, Ty Spilker wrote:
> I went to update Fedora after I had finish installing, it took me nearly
> eight hours to finish downloading the updates (in on cable, downloading
> these updates at about 2kB/s) When I FINALLY finished the download, the
> install stopped. It wouldn't even start, it simply stayed on the screen
> doing nothing. I tried this at least 4 times with the same results.

You needed to pick a different mirror to make the download faster.  How
long wait after the download was finished? Yum/up2date is really, really
bad at doing a big list of updates.  It could take an hour for it to
even start to install!

use apt-get instead of yum/up2date.  apt-get can handle that large list
in seconds compared to an hour like yum/up2date.

Go to http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/ and get the apt package for
Fedora, it should have fc1 in the file name.  Open a terminal windows
and "su -" to root.  Now install the rpm you just downloaded with rpm
-ivh apt*.rpm.  When the install is done, we need to tell apt-get to
look for updates.

(Do the following as root)
Use this command to check for updates
    apt-get update

Now you can update your system with those updates by running:
    apt-get upgrade

To make things even easier, install synaptic which is a nice GUI to
apt-get with:
    apt-get install synaptic

Now you can just run synaptic.  To check if there are any newer
packages, just click the "Update List" button.  From the Show: drop
down, you can select Upgradable to see what needs to be upgraded.
Select what you want to upgrade and just click the upgrade button.
Simple as pie.

> Thanks
> -Spilk

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA