Re: Yum update

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

Richmond Pabilona wrote:

Hi guys,
I ran "yum install xmms-mp3" to install mp3 capability to xmms player, the yum started downloading/updating all of the software packages headers, it went for almost an hour but suddenly my internet connection disconnected so i was not able to complete it. This was the first time i ran yum, does yum really behave this way? i mean does it update all the headers before it installs a package? Will the xmms-mp3 be installed after it finish updating the packages?

It updates all the headers before doing anything else so it can properly solce dependency issues for you. After the first big header download, it'll only pull in new headers.

If you run it again it should happily pick up where you left off.

Note that the default fedora mirrors and repositories do not contain the xmms-mp3 package due to licensing issues. You'd need to add a repository that does contain it to your /etc/yum.conf, like rpm.livna.org (see that site for directions on how to configure yum.conf).

Thank you for the info!