Re: can't configure vmware 3.2.1 on fc1

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Clement Taylor wrote:

> I use the VMWare program on my linux desktop to run windows programs
> with no Linux equivalent. Each time I change my kernel version I need to
> recompile vmware. It normally works fine but I am having a problem with
> my fedora system. When I run vmware-config.pl I get the following error:
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

(1) Can you upgrade to v.4?  It works flawlessly (so far at least) with
FC1 and VMwareWorkstation-4.0.5-6030).

(2) Run vmware-config.pl as follows:

	CC=gcc32 vmware-config.pl

The kernel is compiled with gcc32.  Modules should be compiled the same
way.  (If you installed kernel development packages, you should have
gcc32-3.2.3-6 installed.

(3) vmware 3.2 has some issues with recent kernels.  If you must stay with
it, search the vmware newsgroups at www.vmware.com for information about a
patch set.

--
		Matthew Saltzman