Re: questions about squid.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:07:44AM -0500, Paul Wood (RNESU) wrote:
> I work for a k12 organization and we use Bess as our content filter.  It has
> some great reports.
>
> I would like to cut the cost of content filter and use the money for
> something 'important'.
> Does Squid have good reporting tools?  Are they easy to setup and install?
No, Yes.

No good reporting, filtering, or data tools to report on with default
setup.

It is easy to setup.  You should have a squid like caching resource
between student desks and the Internet.

Of interest I tried a Goggle search of "Lemon Drop" to see if "Lemon"
was in a squid log.  A grep -i lemon in my /var/log/squid/*log did
not find the outgoing search string.

In looking I also found this URL.
    http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?function=view&record=185

Anyhow,,,,
It is easy and trivial to setup squid.  You should do it
behind your current filter and test simple stuff as I did.  My bet is
that the class of content filtering you are in need of demands that
you also have a great caching server (like "Squid") behind it.  Simply
caching the reused images, frames and style sheet stuff should have a
positive impact on the filters.

Squid has features where multiple squid boxes can be stitched together
in ways that might lighten the load of multiple filter boxes and multiple
gateways.

--
  T o m M i t c h e l l
  mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net