Re: [Asus p5a] impossible to install fedora-core

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hervaen" <hervaen@xxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 12:33 PM
Subject: [Asus p5a] impossible to install fedora-core

> The hardware is;
>
> Motherboard; Asus P5A ATX socket 7
> CPU; K6 2 amd 500 mhz
> DD ide udma 13 Go
> graphic card; Woodoo 3000 AGP
> sound card; sound blaster 16pci

I have this motherboard (BIOS revision 1007)
K6-3 400 Mhz
Quantum 20 Gig HD
NVIDIA TNT2 model 64 graphics
Soundblaster PCI 512

So far it has worked flawlessly. Graphical install worked fine, no crashes
in 2 months.

> After probing graphic card, monitor and mouse  the screen is all black and
> stop, impossible to have the install screen
>
> sometimes, (1 time on 20) I can install fedora but after the reboot I have
> kernel panic
>
> It seems that the problem comes from udma and I have to change something
in
> Bios but after surfing on the web since several days I don't find anything

I just rebooted my system and went into the BIOS and chose "set BIOS
defaults" and although my USB stuff no longer worked, the system still
booted fine (I'm running 2.5.22-1.2149.nptl kernel). This hard drive runs in
UDMA mode without any problems.

You could try disabling DMA mode for the hard drive in the BIOS, and seeing
if that stops the kernel panic.

I'd also pull the sound card and see if that helps. I'd also suspect the
video card. Do you have another to swap in to test? Have you tried a text
mode install rather than the graphical install?

Sorry if this didn't help much, but at least you know one person is running
this motherboard without problems.