Re: need help to recover data from damaged hdd

Alexander Appel wrote:

Hello all!

A few minutes ago I shut down my computer running Fedora Core 1 and received some dma_initr error messages in the shutdown process.
When I tried to reboot I received an S.M.A.R.T. error for hdb on which my root, /boot, /swap and /home partitions lie.
Running an hardware test from IBM I received the message that there are some currupt sectors which could not be repaired because the file system isn't supported (I'm using ext2 and ext3).
Then I booted using a knoppix-cd and tried fsck and received the error message: "fsck.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/hdb1"
Is there a possibility to recover at least my /home directory which contains a lot of importand files and hasn't been backuped for a while?

Greetings
Alexander Appel

While booted in knoppix or 'linux rescue' upon booting the fc1 disk1 cd try using these options in your mount command:
-o ro,errors=continue

Hopefully you will then be able to read most of your files, depending on what was in the bad sectors.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021