Re: OT: webcam apps

On 22 Feb 2004 15:30:11 +0000, Craig Tinson graced me with:
> Hey Guys..
>

> just a quick question..
>

> I have gnomemeeting up and running fine with my webcam..
>

> but am looking for some way to conferences with a windows user..
> any suggestions on how I'd do that? is there any software that has
> both a linux version and a windows version?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions..
>

> Craig

I am in the process of doing the very same thing, as well as
Linux-to-Linux connections in GM. We're at a point of stalemate, but
only because we are still trying to resolve firewall issues between
myself and my communication peer. Outside of the firewall issue, it is
already possible to mate GM and NetMeeting, which would give you the
desired results.

How to go about connecting the two is still a bit of trial-n-error
process. If the NetMeeting client has an .NET account, it appears that
they cannot use an ILS: both parties will then need to have a Hotmail
email account. PITA. If not, the Windows/NetMeeting user should be
able to connect using an ILS (server). The easy part is working the
apps and communicating. The challenge is making both ends reasonably
network secure while allowing communications to happen. If you have
this part down, you'll breeze through getting GnomeMeeting and
NetMeeting to communicate with each other. Be aware that if you are
not willing to set both machines in DMZ, or without any firewalls
whatsoever, it will be a process of opening ports and trial-n-error
until it works. Googling on 'firewall', 'ports', 'GnomeMeeting',
'H.323' and 'NetMeeting' will point you to more information than you
ever wanted to know about H.323 communications. :0)

Here's a good start:

http://www.linnetsol.co.uk/port-filter.asp

HTH. I would be willing to share what we have accomplished so far.
Contact me off-list. Of course, if you should happen to already be a
communications whiz, by all means...share your expertise with us. ;0)

Paul