Re: Giving up on Linux...

On Sunday 22 February 2004 2:29 pm, Andy Green wrote:
> On Sunday 22 February 2004 11:57, xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Thus, Linux stays as a hobbyist/hacker system for the desktop.

> > From what I see here, M$ doesn't have anything to worry about with its
> > desktop solutions for quite a while.
>
> Did you look at the CPU usage on this machine while it was being slow?
> Maybe you merely have a process somewhere eating 100% CPU.  Is your BIOS
> the latest and greatest?  Are things still slow at runlevel 3?

I checked it and there are no processes using a lot of CPU besides X.  Perhaps
some sort of X problem?  Runlevel 3 seems to run normally but it is difficult
to tell.  The booting process is very slow.

> I have to say that my family is using Fedora on several laptops from
> several manufacturers without trouble.  My brother and my parents are also
> now Fedora users, on an older P3 machine and a Transmeta laptop
> respectively.  Since my experience is different from yours I draw different
> conclusions, which is that Linux and Fedora in particular is ready enough
> for "the desktop" of our children and family.
>
> Just as I can imagine I would also feel embittered and negative if my only
> experience had matched yours, I hope you can also imagine that other people
> are having a LOT of better experiences out there, so your conslusions are
> not definitive.

One of the reasons I posted here was to find out if anybody else is having the
same problems with a configuration like mine.