Re: installing .run files

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 15:59, Brittany wrote:
> I dont think It's a trojan... it's a game im trying to install a PC game
> of which i enjoy playing. the direct path is /home/sambie/Desktop/et-
> linux-2.55.x86.run but when i try to put it in the terminal it says
> "bash: [sambie@localhost: command not found"
>
> Heres the full message
>
> [root@localhost sambie]# [sambie@localhost sambie]$ /home/sambie/
> desktop/et-linux-2.55.x86.run
> bash: [sambie@localhost: command not found

In Linux a file needs to be marked as an executable to run it.  In MS
Windows, Windows will try to execute a file if the extension is
.exe/.bat/.com, so you could rename a .txt file to .exe and MS Windows
will try to run it.

You can right click on the file in Nautilus and go the properties tab.
Now check the Execute checkbox for Owner, Group and Others.  You should
now be able to just double-click it in Nautilus to run it.  However, I
would run it from a terminal window since I think the program just
prompts you from the terminal.  I downloaded this game as well, though I
haven't had a chance to install and play it yet.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA