Re: Internet only as root

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 15:32, Paul Ryan wrote:
>     Hi I have a problem accessing the internet. I can only access it
> as root. After numerous attempts to get my ADSL runing with the
> Internet setup wizzard and the network device control, without any
> luck.  The system would conect but it was like Mozilla, Gaim and Co.
> didn't know that I was conected.  I finnaly had luck with adsl-config,
> everything worked as root but only as root. When I boot to a normal
> user there is no ppp0 conection listed in the network control (and yes
> I did enable other users) when I use /usr/sbin/adsl-start it seems to
> conect no error messages but it is the same as with the internet
> conection wizzard Mozilla and Co. don't think that I'm conected.  One
> other note if I do any configuation with the network control I have to
> reconfigure my ppp0 conection with adsl-config again otherwise it
> won't conect to the internet again.

Hmm, can you list the configuration files for us?
("ls -l /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts")

You also shouldn't need to use adsl-start directly, just "ifup ppp0" or
"ifdown ppp0" or the network control program. Also, please give us the
contents of the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 without
the "USER='...'" line.

Normally you would configure all networking stuff through
redhat-config-network (which will be renamed to system-config-network in
FC2), not through adsl-config.

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp@xxxxxxxxxx