Re: Problems with DVD burner

Wolfgang wrote:

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 22:09, Peter Morris wrote:

I have Fedora Core 2 RC1
and a MCI DVD Burner.
The led on the front of the burner is blinking constantly (since I put a blank disk in)
The disk will not eject and attempts to use either DVD-RECORD or GROWISOFS fail. with an inability to open the disk.

Any ideas (this may not strictly speaking be a FC2 issue.)

Cheers, Pete.

I'm unable to answer the reason why DVD-RECORD will not work with your
burner. (Perhaps you need to update some files that are needed by
DVD-RECORD). But, a straitened paper clip will eject the media. (Small
hole near the tray area, usually below it)

Wolf

Using the manual eject will not help with the blinking light. The drive thinks it is in use and thus will not open for him. Although it likely will open that way it does not address the root problem.

First use ps -aux and grep for the cdrom. You also can use lsof and see if anything is accessing the cdrom. If it is in use, that process will need to be terminated.

If it is not in use, then use the eject command to see if the drive can be ejected that way.

Of last resort you may need to reboot.
I had a problem when xcdroast would get confused and crashed on me but failed to release the drive. The only way I could recover was to do a full reboot to get rid of the rogue process that had left the drive hung and inaccessible, and the process was defunct (zombied) and could not be gotten rid of by normal means.