Re: kernel compile error

Mark McGlone wrote:

I was able to compile the 2.6 kernel once.

But I found that I'd forgotten a few things and had to recompile.

I did

    make mrproper
    make menuconfig (and reloaded my previous configuration)
    make

It churned along for a while then I got this error

      CC      drivers/pci/pci.o
      CC      drivers/pci/quirks.o
      HOSTCC  drivers/pci/gen-devlist
      DEVLIST drivers/pci/devlist.h
    /bin/sh: line 1: cd: drivers/pci: No such file or directory
    /bin/sh: line 1: ./gen-devlist: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** [drivers/pci/devlist.h] Error 127
    make[1]: *** [drivers/pci] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2

I have no problem comiling my 2.4 kernel, and like I said I was able to compile
the 2.6 kernel once. I downloaded this as an rpm from mirrors.kernel.org.

do drivers/pci and drivers/pci/den-devlist  exist in your kernel tree???

I tried this a few weeks ago and had the same result (a slightly earlier
version of the 2.6 kernel), except that time I was never able to get successful
compile at all.

Anyone know what's going on?

thanks,

Mark McGlone