Re: nvidia agp

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:54 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

Hi,
Can someone tell me what this means from dmesg,I put an "Option AGPPART 3" in XF86Config and I wonder which AGP the card is using.
Is it using nvagp or the kernel agpgart,is there anything I need to do.

0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4620 Mon Sep 29 08:49:59 PDT 2003
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT400 chipset
agpgart: unable to determine aperture size.
0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol table

Maybe seeing what Nvidia installed for me (successfully) will help:

/etc/modules.conf:
    alias char-major-195 nvidia
    options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
NVreg_ReqAGPRate=7

My equipment here is a modest nvidia GeForce 4 MX. I just used the base installer, and the default installer right off the Nvidia website...not the beta-test RPM.

    If you need more, let me know...it's not a perfect install, but
Nvidia really works well once it's installed.  The biggest problem seems
to be in merely following the rules, and not thinking too hard.

    :)

Brian, I used the rpm's from Livna - kernel-module - nvidia-glx - nvidia-glx-devel,/etc/modules.conf only contains the 'alias char-major-195 nvidia' and not the 'options'. If your GeForce is modest,
my Riva TNT2 is below the water line! IIRC the options line is default to GeForce cards,I'll try it and see,if not ,more hunting at nvidia NG's

Thanks  david