Re: kde 3.2 -> 3.1.4

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 15:21, Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> I was having similar trouble, most specifically with the panel freezing
> when I clicked on it.   I've switched back to 3.1.4.  Here's my
> procedure if anyone needs it:
>
> Open the "System Logs" app and go to "RPM Packages" and filter for kde.
> Copy the list and print it out. (there are a couple that aren't kde
> packages, so ignore them)
> log out (to the GDM login screen)
> Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a console
> As root:
> rpm -e --nodeps kde[packagename] (do this for each kde 3.2 package)
> Install 3.1.4 from FC1 discs 1 and 2 starting with kdelibs and kdebase.
>
> I can now use my KDE again without going crazy.  I guess I'll wait for a
> later version of KDE to try again.  KDE 3.1.4 was actually fine for me,
> I just got caught up in the 3.2 buzz.  You know how that is... :)

No need to delete the old packages, and no need to start with a specific
package as long as you specify all the packages needed in a single rpm
command. You can use the --oldpackage switch to make RPM accept a
downgrade of packages:

1. Copy all the 3.1.4 packages (and their dependencies, arts and Qt) to
a directory

2. rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm

Cheers,
--