Re: Adventures with Fedora in Biotech

Hugh Caley wrote:

We had problems with it in a server context, however. We had set up a couple of dual 2.8 mhz Xeon boxes with 4 gig of ram for running bioinformatic perl scripts. The results were disappointing; in many cases the scripts would run at half the speed they would run on other slightly slower (but still Xeon 2.x) servers which were running RedHat 8 or 9. We tried changing /etc/sysconfig/i18n to use C or en_US as the default language, and unlike RedHat 9 it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Also, the servers were unstable and would lock up after a few days of pounding perl. We had to put RH 9 on them and now they don't go down and run at full speed. Weird. Not really surprising, I guess, with the first release of Fedora.
FYI.

That is odd. I have a dozen 2.8GHz Xeon boxes (only 2G of RAM each) that I use as a compute farm and they've been completely happy and stable under Fedora Core 1 (up 16 days since last kernel update).

I did try to put a 2.6.1 kernel on one of them, but ran into a lot of trouble with that and eventually gave up and stuck with stock FC1.

I don't have any perl performance benchmarks, but the FC1 systems maginally faster at our number crunching (Java based) than they were before.

Just adding another data point.