Bind 9.2.2 problem - it works only with -f or -g

Hi. Please help me to make the named daemon on Fedora Core 1 (bind 9.2.2-P3) answering to domain requests.

What I discovered up to now:

  1. After installing Fedora Core 1 and setting named to start automatically it start, but doesn’t reply to any domain request . I did this on 2 separate machines, both brand new: same situation.
  2. I checked the named.conf file with named-checkconf and everything is OK.
  3. /var/log/messages report that the named starts succesfully EVEN on the interfaces rejected by me in named.conf!!
  4. If I start manually the daemon with –d 5 and –g options I discovered the first eror: Feb 13 11:01:58.656 couldn't open pid file '/var/run/named/named.pid': Permission denied
  5. I fixed that manually chmod 777 /var/run/named
  6. After that, named –g start corectly the DNS server and answer to all domain requests...That’s OK! BUT AFTER A RESTART CRASH AGAIN.

Bottom line: I can make named to answer to domain requests only if is started  with –f or –g option... ie DO NOT DAEMONIZE! On auto start or service named restart, it starts, but simply refuse to answer to all domain requests. On tcpdump I see the packets coming, and after a large period of time the server respond with SERVFAIL ...

What is wrong?

PS: iptables is DOWN!

Thank U.

Horatius Farcas