network / PCMCIA

I installed FC1 on an older laptop. Took some doing but finally made it
work. I had one remaining problem; the network parts tried to initialize but
the PCMCIA part had not initialized so it wouldn't bring up eth0. I could do
so manually after boot time. I tried to make it automatic on boot by
swapping S10network and S24pcmcia in rc5.d

Obviously that was not the thing to do since now the PCMCIA NIC is not
found. Everything else works.

I obviously don't know enough about what I am doing and could use some help.
First, I now know those references are links not files and my moving things
about has changed things in unanticipated ways. Here are my two requests...

How do I restore the init stuff to its original form?
What would the be the "proper" method to get the PCMCIA NIC and the network
initialization to work so as to automate the connection on startup?

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Mike