RE: User Linux

Why not just download Open Office for Windows.  If that will not work (the linux community seems to be fine with it) then Word Perfect can be found for less than $40 bucks.  Gimp instead of Photoshop.  Perl is free.  There is even free AntiVirus.  And all an end user has to do is download and run the .exe.  No compiling the kernel, no rpm managment, and extremly easy updates.

The Linux community in general thinks that they are the only ones with free software.  The trouble with that is that most home users could care less about FOSS, they can find products and install them easily, and to them it is as free as you can get.  They don't want source code rights, the just want an easy to install and use product.

The Linux desktop community is going to have to get serious about making their product easy to use or the home consumer market (as well as most of the business market) will continue to ignore them.  95% of the people that use home computers already think that MS products are over their heads, put linux in front of them and they will never turn it on again, they have better things to do.

Travis