Re: Security updates are too slow or none existant

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 14:33, Bart Martens wrote:

> I fully agree with you that (security) updates must be thoroughly tested
> before they are released in Fedora Updates. However, as already
> explained in this thread by others, security updates must not be
> publicly tested.

And why is that? Security updates, like any updates deserve the right to
be publically tested. After all, they are publically disclosed; the
public should have the right to test it.

> By suggesting to use Proposed Fedora Updates for security updating, you
> suggest the average user to use all packages in Proposed Fedora Updates.
> You said it, "what happens when updates-testing software breaks your
> production environment". :-)

Security updates *can* break your production environment. I've known of
places where there are many workstations (like at universities) where a
certain lot of machines get security updates, and about three days later
do the rest get the updates; this in lieu that if the security update
does break something, only a certain lot of machines (in a lab) get
borked.

> Let's not confuse/mix security updates with other updates. Fedora needs
> people in the non-public groups addressing security issues, to get
> security updates released in Fedora Updates simultaneously with other
> Linux distro's, without public testing. I don't know how Red Hat wants
> this handed over to community people.

All distros get security updates publically tested, before being pushed
out in the mainstream.

But I see where your argument is going - you're requesting for a Fedora
Security Team. Something where a group test, and make sure the security
update works. Fair enough, but I guess this is in a future fedora
roadmap release =)
--
Colin Charles, byte@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.bytebot.net/