Re: Cable modem, router, and nic

Michael Gargiullo wrote:

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:36, Peter Reed wrote:

I was about to purchase a cable modem, router and nic card Any sugestions on
what I should purchase for the above would be appreciated. I of course run
fedora so something that will be compatible with fedora would be optimal. And
thank you for all the fine reading.
Peter Reed

Peter,
	Depending where you are, if you truly want to BUY your own modem, make sure it's upgradable to Docsis 2.0  ie... terayon 715 , motorola 5200, and a few others...
Any cable modem router will work just fine on 99% of the systems out there.  After you setup your modem and router, check the lease time on the router.  If you notice that you loose connectivity at t he half way point (ie 30 day lease, after 15 days your router looses connectivity) turn WAN ping on (It's a long involved DHCP issue..good reading though)

	You could always run IPTables and 2 nics on your fedora box (using it as the firewall).  This is what I run on the comcast network.
-Mike

Thanks Mike,
How about some good nics to use with linux?  Any Ideas?
Peter