RH 9 modem drivers

Hi
I'm running fedora core one on an intel based system.  I have an intel 537 chipset software modem that is acting up.  I downloaded the RH 9 drivers for it from redhat.com, but when I use KPPP to dial using it my computer freezes.  Would it be the driver or KPPP?  I know the modem works because I use it in WinXP.  If anyone knows about this, please help me

--steve