Re: User Linux

I've been using Fedora Core 1 almost since it was announced.  I have to
say that on the whole, I've been very pleased with it.

Most of the problems I've had are due to the fact that I upgraded from
RH9 to Fedora Core 1.  There are some stray RH9 packages still installed
(haven't checked lately), and that sometimes causes synaptic some
problems during an upgrade.  Careful choice of versions has almost
cleaned up that problem.

I don't know what you do, so whether or not Fedora Core 1 supports you
as it stands is a difficult question.  Fedora Core 1 did NOT support me
right out of the box, but then again there's no operating system that
does.

I had to install j2sdk 1.4.2_2-b03, j2ee 1.4, some extensions for emacs
(jde, xae, xslide), some perl modules, ntfs module, and a few things
from Apache (Cocoon, Forrest, Xindice).

I compiled my own xmms so I could listen to mp3s - next day Freshmeat
has xmms-mp3 available.

I installed OpenOffice 1.1 myself, as well as Netbeans 3.5.1 and Eclipse
2.1.2, Poseidon community edition, Firebird, and now Firefox.

I haven't upgraded unless I wanted to, but I do like being pretty much
on the bleeding edge with my toolset and leading edge with my server
set.  I'm currently very happy with Apache 2.0.48 (compiled and
installed myself), Tomcat 5.0.18, and mod_jk2 from source.  Since this
is a development machine I've not had to stress it to the level of
production machine, but from what I read on the Apache mailing lists my
combination is reasonably production-worthy.

That's not to say there haven't been a few glitches in the system.  In
Quanta 3.2 some of the kmdr info files were missing.  In earlier
versions of libmng the libtool file was missing.  All of these are
'nits' that I can solve by hand, document, and then periodically check
to see if they're fixed.  If not, I can post a bug.

Personally, I like this environment.  I only boot up in Windows/2000 Pro
to chat on Yahoo, play Unreal Tournament (I don't have the Linux
version), and use my dxg50 synthesizer module for music composition.
That issue seems to be with a lack of sound card information from the
manufacturer.

Other than those minor issues, I am happily using Fedora Core 1 to get a
lot of real work done every day.  All in all, a nice system.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .