Re: Firefox Browser

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 07:26, Paul_Vandenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any chance that Mozilla Firefox will make it into Fedora
> Core? This is to be the main Mozilla browser and I consider it stable
> enough for 1.0, even though they are only at 0.8. It's no big deal, as
> it can be downloaded separately, but it would be nice to see this in
> the distro.

Paul,

I installed the Windows version this morning; I assume it supports the
same features as the Linux version. My observations below are based on
today's very brief first look.

If you do a head-to-head comparison between Mozilla 1.6 (browser only
install) and Firefox 0.8 out-of-the-box, you'll see that Mozilla offers
quite a few more features. These may actually be available as add-on
extensions in Firefox, a tailoring capability Mozilla doesn't have.

Some details: Mozilla's Edit -> Preferences is Tools -> Options in
Firefox, making it more familiar to IE users. The stock Firefox sidebar
can show your history or your bookmarks, not both. The web search
feature has been moved out of the sidebar to the far right of the
location bar. I haven't found the printer icon yet. Mozilla's F9 sidebar
on/off toggle doesn't seem to be in Firefox. The small NewTab icon to
the left of the first tab is gone in Firefox. You can open a new tab by
double-clicking in blank space to the right of any tabs, something
Mozilla doesn't support. I haven't had time to find out if Firefox
supports the Mission Control Desktop enterprise preferences manager. If
not, I've heard this will likely be in the production release.

Since that first production release probably won't be ready until late
spring or early summer, I'm thinking FC3 might be a better target for
Mozilla Browser.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL