Re: Security updates are too slow or none existant

Colin Charles wrote:
Let fedora updates itself, be "stable", and well-tested. If you'd like
to help QA updates-testing, I suggest upgrading to updates-testing, and
filing bug reports if you find errors or nuances.
--

One word about the type of reports people need to file.
In some cases, package maintainers might want to have a measure of

In the future i hope that new testing update annoucements will come with
specific instructions about how the maintainer expects the community to
give feedback(postive and negative). Like I've said before, using the
testing repo idea for updates is a new process, so its a little glitchy
as to the level of communication to the testers and from the testers
back to the maintainers. In the future I would hope testing annoucements
look more like this one:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-February/msg00094.html

Here warren specifically states which bugreport to use to give feedback
AND he gives an eta for when the update will be pushed if there are no
problems. The eta estimate is probably appropriate in cases where the
maintainer is looking primarily for reports about regressions or other
problems. Assuming there is no regression reports, the eta gives a
timeframe for when the working update is going to be released. For cases
where the maintainer is looking for affirmative feedback, expecting
people to give reviews of working situations, an eta is probably not
appropriate. Instead some detailed instruction on how to contribute
'affirmative' reports that are of use is going to be needed.

So as a tester, when reading test announcements in the future, if the
maintainer doesn't give some detailed instruction on what sort of
reviewing is needed or doesn't give an eta for release...then you might
want to politely reply to the maintainer and ask for guidance as to what
is needed from testers to help move the test update to a released
update.

-jef"tequila"spaleta