Networking Blues

Hi All
Anyone fancy teaching an idiot how to do a simple home network?

I would like to get my laptop connected to my base unit at home, nothing
fancy just to (initially) swap files, backup laptop to base unit HDD.

I have a DELL laptop which is Fedora Core1 (from the Linux format cover
disk) I have a work profile: "centro" with a domain of
peterc.centrosales.co.uk and IP and subnet for work on eth03 (This works
fine (at work)), I have also created a "home" profile: on eth02 this
currently has the standard 127.0.0.1 IP and standard subnet.

My base unit is an Hyunjui (you wont have heard of it) with an external
Hayes modem and three HDD's running dual boot win98 HDD1 40GB and SuSe
Pro 9 (Retail version) HDD2 40GB. I think the domain is Linux@localhost?

I read through both the RedHat and SuSe manuals all Friday night and
Saturday morning, after four extra strength Ibuprofen I am still none
the wiser.

I have NIS and NFS installed on the base unit, I'm no expert but I think
the Laptop is using static IP (This is because work set it up for me) I
assume the base is using DHCP (This is possibly the problem?). The
manuals go on about exporting folders but if I read it correctly they
would be exported to the very machine I am working on ie, my base unit
(bit of a stupid idea why would I want to export something I can access
normally back into itself?) I have a rough idea regarding the principals
of networks (under windows) I assume I could give the base unit an IP of
127.0.0.1 and the laptop under the profile of "home"127.0.0.0 would that
work?

Can someone spare 5 mins to send me an idiots guide to home networking
in plain non techie language,
something along the lines of "on your base unit click on this then click
on that, type this, save that, start such and such a service"

Then "on your Laptop click on this then click on that, type this, save
that, start such and such a service"

I don't like messing around with the settings on my laptop as work gets
a bit arsey about putting them back in again. I read somewhere that you
can have a work and a home profile so that all I need to do is switch
between profiles (I can do that (1 team point to me I think)).

My ultimate goal is to have my base unit as a (Home) Server and the
laptop as a mobile slave.

I downloaded SuSe9 but couldn't  fathom out how to install it so went
out and spent the kids pocket money on a retail version.

I like a fool I presumed that I would get manuals which would explain
everything in a user friendly way.

Wrong.

The user guide is OK for the basics but says refer to the administrator
manual for most configuration exercises,
when you go to the administrator manual most of the sections have "this
should only be attempted by an expert"

GREAT!

It then explains in what I can only call the ancient language of
Etruscan how to setup an NFS, NIS server

So to finish

1. Do I need NFS or NIS (I only want to swap files back and forth, I'm
not looking for a world domination cluster behemoth machine)
2. Should both units have static IP and not DHCP (remembering the laptop
doesn't use DHCP (I believe)).
3. Am I correct and I can run two profiles simultaneously.
4. I wish I had a brain.
Regards

Peter Cannon

peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx