Re: Make install Problems

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 22:15, Adam Cooper wrote:

> Has appeared when trying to make install both Wine and The Gimp. Both
> programs get through all the first stages but fail late in this one. I
> am su root for both of these. It's a pain this as it's stopping me from
> getting the latest versions. What can I do about it? What is wrong?

It really looks like you are not root. Are you sure your "su -"
succeeded? Try running "id" - it should return "uid=0(root)
gid=0(root)..." if you have successfully changed to the root user.

The problem reported is that the "make install" is unable to create a
symbolic link (like a shortcut) in the /usr/local/bin directory - this
may also occur if the filesystem containing /usr/local/bin was mounted
readonly (unlikely) or out of space. The "mount" and "df" commands
(respectively) will show you if either of these problems exist.

> Thank you for any help.

No problems - hope this helps.

Cheers, Ben