Halt not working

Hi

   When I try to halt the machine I see all the apps
shutting down OK (except the mouse services, but I've
read that's quite normal) and then... nothing happens!
It gets as far as to:

Flushing ide devices: hda hdb
Power down.

or something like that. And then the computer hangs,
and I can just press the restart button. Rebooting
works (except a few occasional hangs on "Unmounting
file systems", but that doesn't bother me much).
Is there something wrong with the OS? Or is it
something to do with the BIOS or the ATX supply?

I read someone else had problems when shutting down
remotely. Could be something similar?

Thanks
Alberto