Re: Dumb Newbie

Am Sa, den 07.02.2004 schrieb Jwp um 21:19:

[ snip ]

> Now the mail server was a different beast altogether and took the better
> part of this morning and it is still not running correctly.  Initially with
> the help of a couple of Tutorials and several articles I got Postfix
> installed and {# postfix start} went off without a hitch, however I was not
> able to get a response from {# telnet localhost 25}.  And any e-mail sent to
> usr@xxxxxxxxxxxx came back rejected reason {illegal host / domain found}
>

> A couple hours later and I finally managed to get a response from the telnet
> connection both through {# telnet localhost 25} as well as { telnet LAN IP
> 25} from another machine on my home network.  However when I tried {telnet
> mydomain.com 25} from another machine on the network I received a connection
> refused.  Please excuse my ignorance but, is this working as it should?
> Refusing outside access to my smtp server or is this an indication that my
> ISP is filtering traffic to port 25?  Also now when I send mail to
> usr@xxxxxxxxxxxx it doesn't get returned to the sender but it also hasn't
> shown up  in the usr inbox either?   Is this a sign that my ISP is working
> against me?   Do you all know of a way I can tell if my ISP is the problem?
>
> If so can I set up the MX record to send mail to port other than 25 say
> 10001 and then forward port 10001 through my router to port 25 on the linux
> box?

[ snip ]

> JP

First: Do NOT hijack foreign threads!

I suspect you are using Sendmail. So read the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
file! It's all commented in there what is need to let the daemon listen
on all devices and not just only on localhost.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 22:35:48 up 7 days, 21:35, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.06
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]