Re: Problems with ISP's smtp server?

Randy Kelsoe wrote:
Running ethereal, it looks like the smtp server disconnects before
Mozilla Mail sends the "Quit" command, and before evolution sends the
"RSET" command. OE sends an "EOM:" after the smtp server has
disconnected, but does not seem to care.

I don't know SMTP well enough to tell whether the server is allowed to disconnect at that point, but I'll tell you what I did in a similar situation:

Suddenly one day my ISP's SMTP server refused to accept mail from me. It
replied "relaying denied" every time. Apparently they had configured it
to think that my IP address was outside of their range of customer
addresses. So I typed "service sendmail start", verified that Sendmail
listened only on 127.0.0.1, and told my email client to use localhost
for SMTP server. My need for an SMTP server at my ISP was then
eliminated. :-) I only wish I had thought of this before I spent far too
much money on a useless argument on the phone with a clueless tech
support guy who couldn't say much more than "We don't support Linux.".

Björn Persson