Re: Problems with ISP's smtp server?

Am Fr, den 06.02.2004 schrieb Randy Kelsoe um 23:02:

> I am using Mozilla Mail, and it has been working perfectly until
> Wednesday. I have been using smtp.sbcglobal.net for my smtp server, and
> have not made any changes recently. Starting Wednesday, every time I try
> to send an email, I get the normal delivery progress window, and it says
> the mail gets delivered. Another window then pops up and says message
> delivery failed, and that it was because connecting to the smtp server
> failed. The messages do get through, but I have to close the compose
> window, and the sent message does not get put in my Sent folder. I have
> tried Mozilla Mail on an XP machine, and I see the exact same behavior.
>
> Trying evolution, the message gets delivered, but I get an error:
>
> "Error while performing operation:
> RSET response error: Operation now in progress"
>
> Using Outlook Express on XP works fine. I have called my ISP, and they
> claim they have made no changes recently. They also said since it works
> with OE, it's not their problem.
>
> Running ethereal, it looks like the smtp server disconnects before
> Mozilla Mail sends the "Quit" command, and before evolution sends the
> "RSET" command. OE sends an "EOM:" after the smtp server has
> disconnected, but does not seem to care.
>
> Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone have any ideas for a
> workaround? I suspect it's a problem with the smtp server.....

Do I understand it right that you run your own MTA - sendmail or postfix
or else - and the smtp.sbcglobal.net as smart host? Then look at your
MTA's maillog and check what's in there. Maybe post relevant logfile
parts.

Does the smart host needs authentification? Do you have a reverse DNS?
Checked your firewalling rules?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 23:14:24 up 6 days, 22:14, load average: 0.43, 0.25, 0.18
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]