Re: newbie PS1 config question

1) be sure to not be in graphical mode:
init 3
now X server is off and you are on the text mode console

2) change the entry HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network to what you like,
i.e. workstation or with FQDN workstation.home.lan

3) edit /etc/hosts and modify the line with your private (LAN) IP to
something like:
192.168.0.5    workstation.home.lan    workstation
If you have a fix IP by your DSL provider the hosts file may reflect
that and you can add that to /etc/hosts too

4) service network restart

5) now your new hostname should be assigned, if unsure reboot

6) init 5
you get back into graphical X server mode

Thanks so much, it worked, two questions still not clear for me:
1) since my dsl provider uses dhcp, does it mean that everytime the ip address is changed by the provider, I have to make change to the etc/hosts file?

2) you mentioned to use text mode (init 3), is it the same as using terminal in X Window?

Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion

Ko Fei Pu
mailto:ko_pu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology." http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx