Re: which file manager you use?

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
Will you xterm folks elaborate a bit?

Why do you use xterms?
How?
Any specific tips or tricks you'd like to share?

Robin Laing wrote:

Hal Burgiss wrote:

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:10:26PM +0100, Peter wrote:

hi,
which file manager you use?

Dualing xterms.

xterms are my favorite.

Simple.

When moving, editing or changing files around, I open an xterm session and 'cd' into the directory that I am working with. Open another xterm session and 'cd' into another directory.

ls gives me a listing and then I can do what I want. Moving files around is as easy as mv xxx.file to /location/. Renaming files is as easy as mv xxx.file yyy.file

It makes windows or new linux users shudder when they want some help and I start by opening a terminal window to look at files and details. It is very fast to move files around when you don't have to click and open many different directory views in a file manager.

With a some scripting, many more tools are created to manage files and directories from an xterm window. Much more than can explained on this list.

One of my favorite is a perl script for renaming files. It has the ability to rename groups of files from a single command.

I have also changed my .bashrc and added
  alias rm='rm -i'
  alias cp='cp -i --backup=t'
  alias mv='mv -i --backup=t'
to assist in those accidental finger screwups.

Look at the man or info pages for each of the above commands.

-- Robin Laing Instrumentation Technologist Voice: 1.403.544.4762 Military Engineering Section FAX: 1.403.544.4704 Defence R&D Canada - Suffield Email: Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx PO Box 4000, Station Main WWW:http://www.suffield.drdc-rddc.gc.ca Medicine Hat, AB, T1A 8K6 Canada