Re: Samba-Server reads incredibly slow

Alex wrote:
Hello!

I'm using Fedora Core 1 on two boxes as Samba-server.  The first one shares a 40 Gb ReiserFS partition and the second one a 120 GB Ext3 on a mirrored RAID set. Both use the same (or nearly the same) configuration file - I've included a copy in this mail - but while the first one needs around 30 sec to read or write a 100 Mb file the second one needs 30 sec to write but around 20 min to read the same file. Both share the same network connection to a 100 Mbit switch. How is it possible that one of the two servers is so incredible slow to read? Has anyone experienced the same problem and knows a hint how I can get the same performance from both servers? -- both are Athlon 1800 or 2000 systems, the faster server has 256 Mb RAM, the slower one 512 MB.

Greetings Alexander

Have you checked the load of the server who stores the 100 MB file? From my own experience it could be just a weak smbd process. Have you tried to kill all smbd processes on your server? Also, check with top (then shift+p fuer sort by CPU usage) if the system is okay.

Just a best guess.

Alex