Re: openldap owner error

David Hughes wrote:
Has anyone had this issue with the development version of openldap-2.1.25?
On startup or restart of ldap I'm getting this database ownership error.

Stopping slapd:                                            [  OK  ]
/var/lib/ldap/id2entry.bdb is not owned by "ldap"          [WARNING]
/var/lib/ldap/dn2id.bdb is not owned by "ldap"             [WARNING]
/var/lib/ldap/objectClass.bdb is not owned by "ldap"       [WARNING]
/var/lib/ldap/cn.bdb is not owned by "ldap"                [WARNING]
/var/lib/ldap/uid.bdb is not owned by "ldap"               [WARNING]
Starting slapd:                                            [  OK  ]

Who does own those files?
I've occassionally ended up with them owned by root instead of ldap, which under the production openldap 2.1.22-8 causes slapd to fail to start without indicating why.

Usually the permissions end up wrong due to running slapadd or slapindex as root.