Re: SSH Display Problem

Try "ssh -X server_name -l login_name". Per the man page for ssh, the -X flag:

Enables X11 forwarding. This can also be specified on a per-host basis in a configuration file.

             X11 forwarding should be enabled with caution.  Users with the
             ability to bypass file permissions on the remote host (for the
             user's X authorization database) can access the local X11 display
             through the forwarded connection.  An attacker may then be able
             to perform activities such as keystroke monitoring.

I have a problem relating to SSH and how it handles the creation of new xterm windows. I have an account at my school, and I can log in via SSH using "ssh -l login_name server_name". When in the labs on campus, there is an X Windows environment, and when certain programs are run (e.g. Matlab, emacs), another xterm window will be created.

However, when I log in remotely using the above command, and run "matlab" or "emacs", the system just seems to hang, not creating a new xterm window. I looked around for a solution, and it seemed that it might be in the /etc/ssh/ssh_config file. However, this is read-only and cannot be modified, nor can the permissions be changed using chmod. Any suggestions?

Mike

-- Andrew Philipoff <mailto:aphilipoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Information Systems, Department of Medicine, UCSF