Re: idiot database flamewars

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:09:01 +0200 Chadley Wilson <chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unfortunately I have no choice of using M$ SQL 2000-ent it is what
> already exist within our business,

i'm not surpised. changing the RDBMS can be a big, complex and
expensive problem. if you're trying to escape paying painful
amounts of money to Larry Ellison for Oracle licenses, it can
be worth it, but M$ SQL server isn't quite as expensive yet, just
painful to administer.

> I am trying trying change our OS so
> that I can be a hero and save the company lots of money ;->

if you succeed, you may find yourself in a position to try
the database migration. good luck! then you can have a serious
learning experience about the three main open source databases
(MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Firebird (not the browser, the other
Firebird)).

> I have tried posting on the mysql, postgres & sql lists with no answers.
> My question is has anyone ever tried to connect a linux box to a windows
> sql server? With all the windows PCs in the world some-one some-where
> must have tried this.

as others have pointed out, you appear to be dealing in Wine territory.
while you've gotten useful hints here, i suggest that a Wine list
might be the most fruitful place to go. i can help on JDBC if any
of that comes up, and to a lesser degree with ODBC. it appears
that neither of those are issues here.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx