OT: Questions about Gnome

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the Gnome desktop, and would like your feedback.

I've been using KDE for about a year now, I chose it initially mostly because of Konqueror, and its' ability to split the window horizontally and vertically, and save "view profiles" which I find extremely useful.

Every so often I check out Gnome, but the file manager seems overly simple for my needs, so I switch back. I get the feeling that there must be more to Gnome than I can see on the surface...

So my question is, Why do you use Gnome over other options? What are its' pros and cons? What do you love about it?

<disclaimer>
These questions are not meant to start a desktop turf war! I'm just a guy who wants to be able to make good recommendations and decisions about the best software for various uses.
KDE users, I already use/love/know KDE, so don't feel obligated to respond, unless you have specific answers to my questions about Gnome.
Feel free to send your replies directly to me (mc2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) to avoid clutter of the list.
</disclaimer>

Thanks,

--