Re: Memory Consumption

fred smith wrote:

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:51:46PM +0100, Julien Tane wrote:

Hello Fred,

thanks a lot. I had been wondering in the last days. I mean this is O.K now... But Can it be that some useless things are cached or buffered.

Is there a way to find out what is buffered or cached ( or perhaps tell which application buffer and cache so much ?).

It's not an app that buffers or caches stuff, it's the Linux kernel. it recognizes that certain things are being used multiple times and stores them in otherwise unused memory for convenient future access. It'll discard cached stuff or write to disk bufferd stuff whenever it needs to, should it need to free up memory in the future.

You don't need to worry about this large amount of buffer/cache causing
you to run out of memory,... it won't, as per above.

It sounds like magic. I think it would be too much to explain this here... But I do not like not understanding what and how. If you have any hint about where I could find more information on the implementation ( even the file in the kernel which take care of that or anything technical). I would be happy. If not I am already very greatful for the answers.

Cheer,
Julien