Re: The upgrade is complete..

WipeOut wrote:
I have been putting off upgrading my RH9 desktop for a while now, but yesterday I climbed into it..

Copied my entire home directory and other data to another PC then did a fresh install.. The in just copied back my .mozilla and .gaim direcrities into my new how directory and everything was there, all my bookmarks, mailinglist rules.. everything.. It was the most painless upgrade of a desktop I have ever done.. then just copied back all my data..

I updated the system using yum and my local mirror site, and then added the updated gmone-panel to get the drawres working..

Finally I added the latest JRE and Flash plugins to mozilla..

I am sure there will be a few apps that I am going to have to reinstall but all in all it was a piece of cake..

I recommend anyone who is still hanging back on installing FC1 to go for it..

Well, my upgrade was far more painful. I have been running a RH7.2 system for a long time now, and it has had all kinds of upgrades added over time, making it very non-standard. I initially tried upgrading, which left my system in a complete mess! I restored the whole system and did a clean install. I then gradually moved over my old stuff. I found that my quite acceptable P4-1500 with 512M and an old Radeon graphics card was just not up to the new desktop environment (which I find very pleasant to use) so I had to do a major hardwarre upgrade as well. This has gone pretty smoothly, although my rather ancient Buslogic SCSI card does not seem to behave well on the new motherboard, so I am ditching it as well in favour of more modern equipment.

I have now got almost everything working pretty well, including moving
over my old apache installation to the new version.

I can now say that I am very happy indeed with Fedora Core 1, despite all
the trouble I had initially. I guess that if I had upgraded the system a
bit more often I would have been saved much of the misery I had this time.
Hopefully the new up2date utility will make this quite easy and painless!

Michael Ben-Gershon
mybg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx