Preferences wont stay (esp. German keyboard layout)

Hi again,

I used redhat-config-keyboard to select the german keyboard layout. Thats fine. The trouble is, every time I restart x, the setting is gone, and I cant type characters like the pipe '|' or '<' and '>'. If I fire up redhat-config-keyboard, the german keyboard appears selected. If I simply hit ok in the dialog, the keyboard woks. After the next restart, the keyboard layout seems to be gone until I startup the redhat-config-keyboard again.

Some friends of mine have exactly the same problem with the german keyboard layout, so it seems to be a general issue. Still, i couldnt find any help for this on the web.

I run KDE, if i start gnome-control-center and apply a theme for the Gnome programs, it seems to be exactly the same behavoir. The theme is applied at once, but after the next restart the setting is gone.

Any help on that?

Thanx,

Thomas