Re: Upgrading Production line PCs

On 31/01/2004 15:01 Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
At 08:24 1/31/2004, you wrote:

On 31/01/2004 13:00 Jeff Vian wrote:
You could always dump MSSQL in favour of PostgreSQL.
or MySQL

We're talking RDBMS's here not 5th rate FUD-ware.

No flames required, Paul. Kindly grow up:

Boring.....

whatever you may think of them, a large number of organizations use both PostgreSQL and MySQL for some sizable projects with good results.

And whatever you think of Microsoft, a large number organisations use their products with good results. Maybe if you took the time to read http://sql-info.de/mysql and considered the consequences in terms of the storage of vital business data, you might learn something.

In our case, we use Oracle since we consider MS SQL to be 5th-rate FUD-ware. So opinions can and will vary.

Compared to Oracle, I'd say your close although I personally have never liked Oracles '' == null "feature".

In any event, the original poster likely does not care about either your opinion and mine, and posts commenting on the perceived quality of /any/ RDBMS are not useful to him. Her? I forgot. Only one person has actually responded with a useful comment that was on-topic.

Which may well indicate a paucity of OSS options (unless client apps are Java) which is why I mooted the idea of DB migration

So, do you know of a way to connect a Linux client to MS SQL or not? Help the guy, dammit.

Google threw this up:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/alberto20000919.php3?page=5

Now let's see you help some-one,,,

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for the Smaller Business |