Re: Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:03:53 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote
> Preston Crawford wrote:
> >>Since it's unlikely you will be installing .NET on a non-XP system the
gymnastics
> >>of mapping the drives shouln't be needed.  I currently run a dual boot
system with
> >>WindowsXP running on the secondary drive.  Works fine.
> >>
> >>John V. Pope
> >

> > Why do you say that? Win2k runs it fine, right? I'd prefer 2K, personally.
> >
> > Also, what do you guys think about those drive bay cases that let you
remove hard drives by pulling them out by a handle after enclosing the drives
in a case? Thus, switching back and forth between primary drives manually. Are
these a bad idea? i.e. Are they hard on the hardware?

> Personally, I don't care for them.  IDE is not designed for hot swap
> (neither is SCSI, really, unless you have the special drives) and if
> the drawer is just a little loose and the drive disconnects when
> powered up, you can fry your motherboard.  I'm quite dubious of them.

I use tons of them all over the place. Never had a problem unless a too macho
guy got a little carried away with insertion/removal (the keys and plastic can
be broken with effort). However, I NEVER do a hot swap hence never have the
fry the motherboard issue. I have been using them for at least 5 years on
around 100 different machines.

They allow me to have my graduate students build their own client/server
setups without having to have a dedicated pair of machine for each team. They
use whatever pair is available when they come into the lab.

I also use them to ghost my critical linux/windows machine onto clone hard
disks for quick diaster recovery backup.

> I understand the simplicity of swapping drives out to run different
> OSes, but I've seen too many of those beasties fry systems or drives
> to trust them.  Your mileage may vary, however, and the really well made
> drive drawer systems can be useful, but you have been warned.

I understand your concern, just expressing my experience with them.

BTW, how did you setup your grub to boot to the secondary hard drive to start
windows?