Re: Fewer partitions are better (Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices)

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:04, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

It may be time to rethink multiple partitions. For legacy reasons,
I build my systems with multiple partitions, but if I had it to do
over again I would probably do it with 3 partitions:
/boot (because it has to be small)
swap (about 2 GB)
/ (everything else, including multiple drives if LVM)

You will definitely want to have /home as a separate partition.

It is very good for when you want to install a fresh version (ie, not
upgrade) since you can format it safely.

Rui

I agree, and on servers a seperate /var can be useful as well since it is where the users "Inbox", all the system logs and the html dir..

Im my mind the best setup would be..

/boot  (primary)
/ (primary)
/home (LVM)